Sunday, January 27, 2008

Some "old" pictures :)

Hi Everybody,

I had wanted to post some pictures of my time while living on the institute campus in San Diego, but didn't have the means to do it! So I know these are old now, but thought I would post them anyway since I wanted to put these pictures on for Mom and Dad (and anyone else) to see--especially the ones of "Tomas Santos" or Tom. I don't know if I told you about him, Mom and Dad, but he's the one I loved so much. We worked together in the kitchen there at the institute and were good friends. He was like an angel--so kind. Funny enough, it was probably the best thing that happened to me there--meeting Tom! When I left he told me he would miss me because I was his best friend. :) He's a 74-year-old Filipino man who is still working every day so he can send money to his grandkkids in the Phil. so they can go to school. I had such a good time getting to know him, and learning about his childhood, etc. He was 12 years old when the Japanese and Americans were fighting right in his own village! And when the Bataan Death March happened (we'd recently read "Ghost Soldiers" about the incidents). He has so many interesting stories. Anyway, I found it funny that he loves American soldiers, still, and so had a real fondness for Tommy. He wants us to go stay with him in his house in the Philippines when he "retires" from working in the OHI kitchen! Anyone want to go with us in a year or two?

Anyway, you would love him, too--he reminded me a lot of Grandpa Udall in his old age--shuffling around with his pants hanging over his big shoes.

Here I am working in the garden, which I only did for about 3 weeks at the end of my stay...


Here I am with Winnie, Glenia, and Preciosa--all from the Philippines. We worked in the kitchen every day together for 3 months! Preci has been there 20 years! They were a great bunch.


Here is Tom with Henry (from Tijuana, Mexico)--also a good ol' guy. He whistled so beautifully... and considered food prep an art--he made cut and made everything beautifully.


Here I am with my buddy Tom--he taught me to make "raw corn tortillas" so we did it together every Friday for all the people to have at dinner. My helping him meant it took only 2 hours or so, instead of 4 or 5. He was always so grateful!


Ta da! Perfect corn tortillas, made from fresh corn that we cut off the cob. :)


Finally, and most happily, I got to be with Tommy again!! He picked me up at the KC airport!
But the picture won't post for some reason...

1 comment:

Lindy said...

Camie, I'm not sure about raw corn tortillas, but you did the job of making me want to eat something (which is good). I think I'll go make a lil' quesadilla using real corn tortillas and yum-o cheese.

Cute picture of you in the garden!

What's going on in Boston?