Sunday, November 4, 2007

A Deep Thought, by Nina Harris

We always have deer in our neighborhood here in Bountiful. They hang out in our back yard, and last Sunday there were two in our neighbors' yard all day long. Nina was dying to go out and be close to them, but we told her they would leave if she went out. So she just watched them from the window throughout the day. The next day we were out in the yard and saw the piles of fresh deer droppings. Of course, Nina was fascinated.

Then, a few days later, she was eating a snack and gazing out the kitchen window. Ruminating on the beauties of fall? No. Reliving the glories of Halloween? No. Imagining herself in a ball gown and glass slippers? No. This is what came out of her mouth:

"Mama, we don't eat deer poop. We only eat food. And snacks."

Wow. My daughter is deep.

5 comments:

Lindy said...

That's right, Nina. Don't forget the snacks. She's a thinker, Sym!

Brigham said...

That is hilarious. I can totally imagine her saying it too. You need to tell her Dad's "smart pills" joke sometime.

Anonymous said...

haha. that is so funny. i'm gonna show this to my dad.

Anonymous said...

Sym, this is in the same vein as Hector saying, at about the same age, "I hope chicken nuggets are always a part of my life." What a classic--especially tagging on "And snacks." Kate

Anonymous said...

I love it -- I remember Hector saying that! It makes me laugh!