Sunday, September 21, 2008

A trip down memory lane















So I am in Western Drug walking out with the ink cartridge I went in to buy when I see this St. Johns book sitting on the counter. It was published by Cameron Udall. I flipped through it and ended up supporting her endeavors.
My basic scanner isn't very high quality as you can tell, but you can perhaps "get the picture"

1- 1912 David King standing outside the gate as his dream home was being built
2- After David's death in 1938, his eldest son, Grover and family moved into the home. When Grover's untimely death made his wife , Dora, a young widow, she turned the home into a hotel called the Elm for the tree David planted in 1886.
3- This picture was taken shortly after Stewart was named Sec of Int. Don't you just love Grandma's laughing on the far left. Gpa is 3rd from right.
4- Grover, Dora, Cal and friend at Grover's Hill farm
5- Grover brands a cow. Sherwood is holding back feet. standing is Keith

She also quotes Mo as saying
"St. Johns may not be the end of the earth- but you sure as hell can see it from there."
What do you think G'ma Risa? How does it look? :}



4 comments:

Risa and Barry said...

Nope, I don't feel as if I can see the end of the earth from St. Johns. Maybe I have just gotten used to the town and its setting after thirty years! Aren't those pictures something?

Lindy said...

Amy, thanks for posting these! What neat pictures...I love the one of the big house being built (love the windows!). It's neat to see Gpa Grover in action too.

Heidi said...

I love the pictures too! Thanks for sharing them!

symonie said...

Amy, can we get a copy of the book? How much are they? Can Mom and Dad get some in SJ?
And I have to say that in the last photo, it looks like Jefferson is standing there watching his dad brand the cow. Who knew Gpa and Jeff were twinners?